Saturday, September 20, 2008

No Water, No Heat and No Common Sense

A pretty interesting start to the weekend at Palais chez Darcy. The fun began when we ran out of water yesterday afternoon. At least I have a good excuse for not doing dishes this morning though a morning shower would be nice. Fortunately, we had enough water sitting in a jug in the fridge so that we could at least make a nice warm coffee this morning, which was a particularly good thing because...

The giggles continued late last night as I noticed the heat starting to die off. At the moment its about -2C outside and last time I checked it was +17C in the apartment...so a tad cooler than I prefer for a Saturday morning. Monty tried calling housing this morning before he went off the guard at the RCMP detachment but I'm not sure if he was able to get hold of anyone there. It could be the case where the furnace up and died on us or we could be out of heating oil. I'm not sure which but this would be the first time I've run out of heating oil in this unit.

The piece de resistance, however, had to be last night when Monty and I were accosted outside our front door by a neighbour from across the street. Initially we thought the guy was just out for a spin on his 4-wheeler and we engaged him in casual conversation before quickly realizing the guy didn't seem all that coherent. (And no, in case you're wondering, he is not an Inuk.) As far as we could tell he was upset over the fact that my housemate actually did his job by reporting the fact that this man's son had been truant from school for longer than 3 days. This Rhodes Scholar, who had stopped his 4-wheeler in front of our door, had what appeared to be either a pipe or a golf club in his hand. After telling us to "take our pay cheques and go home", "and to stay the (bleep)" off his property, he then proceeded to do several doughnuts on his 4-wheeler in the middle of the street, before heading into his house.


Classy.

5 comments:

jen said...

Wow! I hope that's who your friend is guarding today lol.

Way Way Up said...

I did mention that to him in fact but he was called to guard before last night's little bru-ha-ha. It would have made a delicious payback though.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

That would have been hilarous.

paul said...

I taught in Arctic Bay from 85 to 89. A similar incident happened to me, only it was with a shovel. Some things have not changed. I find your experiences very interesting. Stay safe. Paul

Way Way Up said...

While this little episode was a tad unnerving I should add that I have always felt very safe in the community here, much more, than some of the other places I've lived in.