Sunday, September 07, 2008

Cliffs, Qarmait and Cool, Crisp Weather

In need of some fresh air and a change of scenery, I grabbed my camera and headed out for a walk to Uluksan Point.

Three shots of the cliffs out by the point.







These next 4 shots are the remains of three qarmait, or traditional Inuit houses which lie on a flat strip of land at the head of the bay. When I first arrived in Arctic Bay and came out here for a look I took pictures of these circular depressions standing right next to them at ground level. So they just looked like a confused jumble of rocks. I scrambled up among some rocks to gain a bit of height for these pictures and I must say I'm much happier with how they turned out.









A view of Arctic Bay (the bay) and Arctic Bay (the community) from Uluksan Point.



King George.



Who says trees can't grow in the arctic? This arctic willow may not look like much but it is the only real tree species that can thrive anywhere near our town.

1 comments:

Just me said...

I made it to Arctic Bay 2 or 3 times...not long for any visit, but it was great. I always said it I was going to live in another Northern community in NU I'd pick Arctic Bay...these pics are why.