Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Road To Nowhere?



Down in Iqaluit there is a well-known street known as the "Road To Nowhere." It even has its own sign. Though I've never actually seen the place myself I'm sure many a tourist has posed for pictures next to it. In terms of weird place names in Canada, it may even deserve a spot right up next to Dildo, Newfoundland. Less well known than it's Iqaluit version is the Arctic Bay version. Actually, its a little known fact that the Iqaluit street is modeled on the one in town here. Unlike its south Baffin equivalent, though, this one doesn't sport a fancy sign.

Of course this is all silliness, the above road would only be seen as a "Road To Nowhere" or worse a "Road In The Middle Of Nowhere" through the lens of uninformed eyes. It's how I referred to it myself once I noticed it starting to be lengthened and pushed out past the graveyard at the end of town. But this road really does go somewhere - out to Uluksan Point at the mouth of the bay. The road ends at the remains of qarmait (traditional Inuit houses) and makes for a nice little hike, though now that the road is there I kinda feel like I'm cheating on the days I'm able to make the short trip out there.

So there you have it. Arctic Bay's version of the Road To Nowhere, or not. It totally depends on your point of view.

3 comments:

Mongoose said...

I like the name "Ragged Ass Road". It's in Yellowknife.

Way Way Up said...

OMG....I can't believe I didn't mention Ragged Ass Road! I still have a t-shirt of that floating around in a drawer somewhere.

I'm curious to know if Whitehorse has a funky street name to go along with the other 2 northern capitals.

UnkleB said...

Tom Cochrane named an album after Ragged Ass Road ;-)