Friday, September 26, 2008

No Jumping

I recently came across a new blog, Alex Is Up North . One thing that appealed to me about this particular blog, other than the fact that its author, like me, also coaches soccer, is that it is a Northwest Territories blog. I started my career there so I always appreciate news and views from that part of Canada. The author is in Fort Simpson while I began teaching in another "Fort", Fort Smith. In a couple of recent posts you can see a sampling of different signs around his community.

This reminded of an interesting little sign I came across a couple summers ago in the Czech Republic.



No parachuting? That was a new one for me. After all the effort it took me to get to the top of the hill I was climbing, and coupled with the scorching +38C temperature, the last thing I wanted to do was jump off. The other symbols were all ones I've seen many times before but not "no parachuting".

3 comments:

Alex said...

hmmm you really weren't kidding about the "no parachuting" sign! It also appears they don't want anyone doing any wheelies on their biked. Or perhaps they don't want anyone attempting to dribble a swiss ball while sitting on another one. They really should be more clear about these things...

Megan said...

Alex Is Up North rocks.

Way Way Up said...

I could understand the "no cycling, camping or fire" part since the hill I was on was a protected environmental area.......but "No Parachuting".......?