Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hungarian Highlights - Part 5 (Sopron)

Link to Part 4

Sopron (Shop-ron) was one of my "must see" places during my summer travels. It began life as an important Roman town along a trade route linking Venice with the Baltic states, therefore Roman remains abound and it sported one of the best preserved old towns in the country. My guidebook referred to the place as a "mini-Prague" and having been to the Czech capital the previous summer this struck me as an appropriate nickname. The city will always be stuck in my mind as the place where I had two interesting encounters, one with a rather revealing sunbather and the other with a relic from the Cold War. But those tales can wait for another time. In the meantime, here are a few photo highlights.

Old Roman foundations along the city wall.




Trinity Column from 1701.


14th-century Goat Church.


Interior of the Goat Church.


Firewatch Tower.


Street scene from the Old Town.


Tinodi Castle, a privately-owned castle on the outskirts of the city.


Bust of Franz Liszt.

0 comments: