Monday, September 15, 2008

Hungarian Highlights - Part 3 (Gyor)

Link to Part 2

Gyor (pronounced something like Dyeur, but run it all together) was a place I initially was going to give a pass. But since I had to pass through it on the train on my way to Budapest I decided it might be good to start out here after heading off from the capital. At least I would already have an idea of what the train station looked like once I got there, I reasoned. At any rate, for a city of its size (4th largest) it had a surprisingly laid back and walkable old town. There were more than enough sites to hold my attention for the 3 days I was there.


A shot from across the Raba River. The Bishop's Castle and Basilica stand behind the old city walls.


Carmelite Church. While in Gyor, my hotel was actually the former nuns residence which is tucked away behind the church here.


As luck would have it, there was a big folk festival held over the weekend I was there. These 3 guys delighted the crowds with some fantastic folk music. I could have listened to them for hours. In fact, over the course of that weekend I'm sure I did.


Interior of the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola.


I thought this was the Bishop's Castle but I'm pretty certain it isn't. I can't remember what its function is now but it was pretty impressive to see.


Napoleon-haz. A small sign out front announces that Napoleon once spent a night here on August 31, 1809.

0 comments: