Monday, September 29, 2008

Another Life Snuffed Out

So far, this is far from a normal Monday morning. Classes were cancelled here this morning and now I'm sitting here trying to think of what to say. Another young person in our community (the grandson of a staff member) committed suicide last night. I'm sitting watching the news and hearing a lot of politicians talk....and talk....and talk. Why isn't this a political issue? Why do they talk about a "war on terror"? Where are the resources for a "war on suicide"? I suppose then leaders might actually have to do something. I've been in the North long enough to realize that this is a complex issue with no quick fix solutions. But still...

I have a strange feeling that if a major city were experiencing the same crisis then the shit would hit the proverbial fan. But I guess when you're North of 60, issues like suicide fly under the radar. Is anyone listening?

2 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I know how you feel. Kugluktuk just had another one last week too and he was just 16 years old. I wish it would come up in the news; it is all so hush-hush and no one wants to talk or deal with it. Suicide has to be brought out into the open. I think we have to stop saying that the person has now found peace; that only encourages others to go down that same path as they don't think there is any other way to find peace in their life.

Mongoose said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.