Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sad News

This afternoon I took a call. The type of call I dread. My classroom assistant called to tell that one of my students had committed suicide. I'm numb. I just saw the kid yesterday in school. We were laughing and joking...and now this. After I put down the phone I felt like I was in some weird dream. I walked down to the church where people from town had gathered. On the way I bumped into the psych. nurse who confirmed the awful news.

I'm lost for words here and don't really know what else to say. It's going to be a rough few days ahead for the community.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, no. I am so sorry and am thinking of your community.

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Oh Darcy,

I completely understand what you are going through. I got that call at the College when I was pregnant. Same thing, he was there the day before and in great spirits. I am still quite upset about it, and hearing this brings all those emotions back.

Please write me if you need anyone to chat with.

Kara

In Iqaluit said...

What terrible, terrible news. I am sorry to hear that. It's such a tragedy that happens too often and I wish I knew how to stop it.

I hope the family, you, and the whole community gets through it as best as one can and comes out stronger somehow.

Bonnieupnorth said...

So so sorry Darcy...was on call this summer with the suicide of a young teen girl..it is the news we always dread...thoughts and prayers.

Matthew and Michele said...

It is hard for any community. We have had several suicides in Cape Dorset this year. It devastates the small communities. Michele, being the director of social services, has to deal with the families first hand. It is very hard on her.

Mongoose said...

Harsh. I'll be thinking about y'all.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Such sad news. I can't imagine being in your situation. Luckily I have yet to experience this. Hopefully I never will.