Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Killer Excitement

Around lunch time we received some interesting visitors. A pod of killer whales was swimming around the bay. The staff room cleared out pretty quick as everyone wanted to take in the spectacle. My initial reaction was a bit muted since I've seen killer whales a few times before. But as I was told later, it is pretty rare to see killer whales in the bay here. I recall a few times spotting narwhal but never killer whales. Understandably, our new staff members were pretty excited which brought back pleasant memories of the times I had first seen animals like whales, polar bears and seals. After finishing my lunch in an empty staffroom I ducked out the back door of the school for a peak. Despite the distance I was able to make out a few dorsal fins above the surface of the water. As luck would have it, I didn't have my camera on me but you can check out this picture from Clare's blog of the sight.

1 comments:

Kiggavik said...

Thanks for the link Darcy. And in case I haven't said it yet, welcome back.