Saturday, August 02, 2008

The End Is Near!

No, I'm not some wacked out religious fundamentalist. My little adventure is winding down. Today is my last full day in Hungary. Tomorrow I catch my train and leave this most fascinating of places. Time sure flies when....yadda yadda yadda.

I spent my last day checking out a Roman military amphitheatre (just part of one exterior wall and some stone foundations which I'm guessing supported the seating). Then, for something a little different I did some caving. For a fairly flat country, Hungary does have some pretty interesting cave networks in the northern part of the country. I can't recall the cave's name off the top of my head but at 19km, it is Hungary's second-longest network of caverns. The tour visited perhaps 1km of this. (Climbing that 20 foot ladder at one point was definitely an experience.) But loved it! Especially because it was 34C outside but a very comfortable (for me anyway) 11C inside. I was actually the only one in our little tour group wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Even the guide wore long pants and a sweater. Wimps!

A wander over to Margit Island in the middle of the Danube with its big park, shady trees and the remnants of a 13th century Franciscan Monastery rounded out the day. My train doesn't actually depart until early evening tomorrow so I'll have some time for some last-minute wandering or perhaps a good book....maybe I'll even start planning for next summer.

0 comments: