Sunday, August 03, 2008

Double Standard

Following the news of events happening back in Canada, I was quite shocked to hear about the grisly stabbing death of a young man in Winnipeg. As I was reading through some of the comment threads on the CBC website, I couldn't help but think what the take would have been if this had happened in the North. People will cry over the seal hunt but don't have the spine to demand harsher punishment, immigration policy or whatever other little cause they might be trying to use this sad story to lobby for.

I find it funny that whenever a story of violence is reported out of the North that inevitably some Einstein will raise the "fact" of how horrible and dangerous the North must be. Yet reading through the comments, I note that not one person decries how horrible and violent life must be in Winnipeg or even the West. Interesting.

As a Northerner and having spent time in both Nunavut and Manitoba I can tell you in no uncertain terms what my choice of place to live would be. Why would I ever return to the South? I mean, just look at how horribly violent people are there?

3 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I thought the same thing when I read it Darcy. Even though I'm "technically" not in the North anymore, it still has the small town feel of it.

Megan said...

It's because we are so foreign to them. It's very easy for them to shout that we are violent, because they don't know us at all. Suggesting that THEY are violent...well, that takes strength and self-awareness they don't have.

We ARE violent. I'm often horrified by the things I see here. Our rates of violent crime are sky-high compared to the Canadian average: there's no way to get around this. But we don't tend to have the sort of horrific violent crime against strangers that you see in the south.

I'm not sure that that's particularly reassuring, though. And it definitely isn't a story the media want to tell.

Kennie said...

Megan - I agree! But at the same time, I also think that there is the horrific violent crimes against strangers in the south at a high level as well - it just might not be as "publicly published" or reported by our news agencies.

And hey, at least y'all weren't getting onto a bus the next day after waking up to that news. I was ok with it .... my mother on the other hand, wasn't too thrilled. Surprisingly, it was the topic of conversation on the bus too with everyone.