Friday, August 22, 2008

And We're Off!

Another school year is off and running at Inuujaq School. I have some good little classes, including my grade 10 class - kids I've known since they were in grade 7 when I first arrived. They really are a great group to work with and I've been patiently waiting for the past three for the opportunity to have them in my class. I've also coached the bulk of them on various soccer teams in the past so my expectations of them are well-known.

Speaking of soccer, I'm hoping to put together a 13-and-under boys team for Regionals in November. I have all new players to work with this year with the exception of the captain who I've coached for the past 2 years. I still have to coordinate with the rec. director over practice times since the gym is shared between the school and the community, and I need to get cracking on ordering some new uniforms and a few pieces of equipment. So I will soon be busy enough. Coaching is a funny thing. Sure, there are times when I feel a bit worn down - pre-adolescent attitudes and all, but after some time off I feel the urge to get back into it. I was pretty sure that after 3 years, that I would move onto other pursuits this year, but the challenge and excitement of the game has drawn me back.

As an added bonus, the sun has reappeared for the first time since my return. 5C feels pretty warm after all the wind and snow we were pummeled with. Flights into the community are slowly getting back on track. I expect my housemate to make his return later this evening after having spent a week between here and Newfoundland, trying to return for the new school year.

0 comments: