Friday, July 11, 2008

"Waiter, I'll Have The......"

I'll admit I haven't been all that adventuruous when it comes to food choices over here. For the most part I stick to the dishes I know.....chicken, beef, fish and the odd steak. Occassionally I've challenged myself with the Hungarian versions of these staple meats and I have to say it's all been quite good. The wine menus here would more than compensate in the event I made a choice that didn't agree with me I'm sure. One menu item I saw has me very curious though.

As I was perusing the menu outside one restaurant here in Veszprem I saw...

ROOSTER TESTICLE STEW.

Honest to God, I kid you not. But, you know....it does come with a side order of dumplings. Actually my curiousity is piqued. I'm here through the weekend before I set off to explore the southern part of the country, so maybe, just maybe, I might give it a go. It can't be that bad. I'm quite certain it was much worse for the roosters involved.

5 comments:

Trudie said...

When visiting friends in Alberta at one point in time, I was offered Prairie Oysters... Like a well brought up girl I accepted without questioning what it actually was - much to everyone else's surprise. I don't remember what the taste was like - but it could have been because we also imbibed quite a bit, this being a traditional prairie style BBQ.

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Oh you had better give it a go and take pictures too!

Jennith said...

Sounds like quite the trip... you'll have to let us know if you decided to brave the local specialty or not. Happy Travels!

Way Way Up said...

I actually did troop back to that restaurant later that evening, but after fortifying myself with a good beer I was told the restaurant didn't have the dish that particular night.....so I settled for some nice beef instead.......heh.....at least the roosters are happy!

Kiggavik said...

Whew, Foghorn Leghorn just wouldn't be the same in a high squeaky voice.

"I, I, I say there boy. That Rhode Island Red turned white, then blue, then... hey what are you doing with those scissors?"