Saturday, July 26, 2008

Somewhere A Rooster (possibly more) Is Crying

Well folks, what can I say? I am a man of my word. A few posts ago I mentioned my missed opportunity to try "Rooster Testicle Stew" back in Veszprem. But now I can say? I've done it.

I was in the far-eastern town of Sarospatak, near Hungary's border with Slovakia and Ukraine. The place - Rakoczi Pension, where I was staying. The menu was in Hungarian but as I was scanning it, my eyes picked up on the words "Kakas Toke Porkolt". I thought I had seen them somewhere before. When the waiter brought me an English menu, I checked to see how good my translation skills were. Turns out I was bang on, only this menu had it translated a little more bluntly - Cock's Balls Stew. So...I ordered it. Heck, you only live once!

As I waited for my meal to arrive, my eyes shifted continuously from the empty table top in front of me, to the spoon, to the kitchen door through which the waiter had disappeared. Many thoughts went through my head - What would my mother say? What would Jesus do? Why am I stalling by asking silly questions??

...And then the moment of truth arrived...alone with a side order of dumplings.

Having now tried it, I can honestly say it really is a case of mind over matter. It was one of the best meals I've had on this little excursion of mine. Though I'm certain that somewhere a rooster (perhaps several) is crying.

6 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

ahhah right on!! Hope you took a picture of it as well.

Erin said...

Hey

I stumbled on your blog and have been enjoying reading it. I'm a teacher in Ontario and have been playing with the idea of going to Nunavut in a year or two but have no clue where to even start getting information. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Erin
eraspor@hotmail.com

Way Way Up said...

Kara and Matt - unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me at the time....the rooster stole it from me.

Erin - Thanks for the interest in my blog. I will do my best to email you and answer any questions you may have once I return to Canada in about a week's time.

Amy H. said...

Ummm... congratulations... I think.

Meandering Michael said...

Congrats!

So, how many does it take to make the stew?

Way Way Up said...

At least 2 unfortunates apparently.

:)