Saturday, June 21, 2008

Die Rheinfall

Today's highlight was the Rheinfall at Schaffhausen. Aunt Janice and Uncle Kai drove me up there today to view the falls and take some pictures. Die Rheinfall is Europe's highest waterfall - a staggering 23m. Still though, the sheer volume of water passing over it is impressive and by following a path you can get pretty close to the falls. It makes for a dramatic sight. I'll be sure to get some pictures up once I return to Canada. For now, my riveting commentary will have to do. The rest of the day was spent exploring Schaffhausen's Old Town.

A second highlight was finally having an opportunity to see the Rhine during daylight. I passed over it twice last year on a train in the middle of the night. Due to a quirk of geography, we had to pass through a small piece of Germany and then back into Switzerland so I was able to get a Swiss stamp in my passport. Apparently, I didn't get one when I landed at Flughafen Airport because even though they scanned my passport through some sort of computer device you still have to ask for an actual stamp if you want one and I wasn't aware of this at the time.

I'm almost over my jet lag now. I was woken up briefly last night around 2:30am by exuberant car-honking soccer fanatics celebrating Turkey's shocking win over Croatia. I watched the entire game last night and have to say Croatia was robbed. Having seen many crazy fans in the short time I've been here, part of me wondered how good last night's referee's life insurance policy is. Still, the last 10 minutes or so made for an exciting game.

I'm not sure what's on the go for tomorrow. I may just take it easy and relax a bit (a vacation from a vacation?) Handling jet lag is no big deal for me but after 10 months of sub-zero weather, I found today's 31C high no small adjustment.

0 comments: