Saturday, May 10, 2008

Triple Eh!

My nephew Cole is becoming quite the little hockey player and he's only 12.....make that 12-and-a-half now. I'm not sure off the top of my head when he decided to make the switch from playing forward to playing between the pipes but it was a smart move on his part. It seems whenever I'm in touch with my sister in Ontario, Cole is either heading for a game, returning from a game, practicing for a game or participating in a goal tending clinic of some sort. He's a busy kid, for sure, but its starting to pay off.

Earlier this spring he backstopped his Pee Wee team to the Ontario semi-finals. At the year-end awards, he was named his team's MVP. The biggest news yet was that a couple weeks ago, he was invited to try out for Triple A Bantam. This would give him an opportunity to play against more skilled talent in a bigger pool of fish so to speak. (Belleville's population has to be at least 60 000, while Campbellford sits at more modest 3800). If I know my minor league hockey divisions correctly, this is the next one up from Pee Wee. Anyhow, he was invited to try out for the Quinte region which is the city of Belleville, Ontario and surrounding area. Four goalies were invited to try out for the team and Cole ended up with the number one ranking. Good job buddy!!

0 comments: