Monday, May 26, 2008

Nunavut News

I just wanted to post an update on a couple of events I had mentioned earlier this month. Sorry for the delay if I left you hanging. I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. Plus of course, I hate loose ends.

Meeka's Walk - I wrote a few days ago about an Igloolik teacher who was using her May long weekend to walk from her community to neighboring Hall Beach. Neighboring is a relative term as the direct-line distance is 75km. Meeka successfully walked the 75km to Hall Beach and then 75km back to Igloolik. This was done to raise money for a much-needed daycare in her community. Again, for anyone wishing to make a donation to help Meeka out, here is the address below.

Meeka's Walk
Ajagutaq Daycare Society
Box 234
Igloolik, Nunavut
X0A 0L0


Nunavut Quest 2008 - As I had thought, this year's race was won by a local man, Moses Oyukuluk, in a time of 41 hours, 10 minutes, 5 minutes ahead of the second-place finisher. Moses is well-known in town as he is a former mayor and currently operates a local hotel. To the students at our school, he is a familiar face as our bus driver. I will also be able to write another installment next year for Nunavut Quest 2009 since that race is set to start here in Arctic Bay and finish over in Pond Inlet.

0 comments: