Friday, May 16, 2008

Meeka's Walk

Earlier this week I received an email from Jenn and Ian about one Igloolik teacher's plan to help improve her community. Meeka's goal is to walk from Igloolik to the neighboring community of Hall Beach to raise money for daycare facilities in her community and also to raise awareness of women's issues in Nunavut. The distance between Igloolik and Hall Beach is about 75km as the crow flies. Remember, there are no roads here between communities. Igloolik is on an island in Foxe Basin and Hall Beach is a little further south on the mainland. The walk will take place almost entirely over the sea ice, through areas frequented by polar bears.

About 4 years ago in Qikiqtarjuaq I participated in a community walk to raise awareness of the problem of suicide which has claimed too many young people here. That walk involved setting out from Kivitoo (a former whaling station) and walking back to Qikiqtarjuaq. It was not easy. My legs gave out about 5km from town and I had to go to the nursing station for muscle relaxers for my poor legs. So, I can tell you from my own experience that what Meeka is attempting is no simple walk in the park.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish Meeka (a fellow teacher!) all the best in her journey. Her goal is indeed a noble one. Nunavut needs more Meekas. She now has a website you can visit for updates on her quest - Meeka's Walk . She left Igloolik last night and is now underway.

Anyone interesting in making a donation can do so through her website or through the address below.


Meeka's Walk
Ajagutaq Daycare Society
Box 234
Igloolik, Nunavut
X0A 0L0


Good luck Meeka!

2 comments:

In Iqaluit said...

What a woman! Wow... a woman of passion AND action. I just wrote a cheque for $100 (I wasn't able to donate online for some reason using my Visa and I don't have Paypal).

I saw the email but wasn't sure how to domate. Thanks for posting this, Way Way Up!

Anonymous said...

That will be an incredible feat for sure. Wow. I wish her a safe journey and I hope she finds a lot of support.