Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hello Hungary!

After a great deal of procrastination and delay on my part, I finally booked my summer flight to Europe. And I'm ecstatic. I'm pretty sure I talked my housemate's ear off for a good hour after getting all the arrangements made. I'll be flying to Zurich a month from now with Swiss Air (sorry Air Canada, but did you really think I'd want to fork out an extra $200 for the "privilege" of flying with you?) I'll visit my aunt in Zurich before hopping a train to Hungary for a 4-5 week sojourn.

This lousy photo shows the Lake Balaton region of Hungary where I will be spending the bulk of my travels, soaking in the wine, castles, and Hapsburg and Ottoman architecture. Ah bliss!



(The big red blotch in the above photo is Budapest and the long skinny blue thing is Lake Balaton. Austria and Slovakia lie across the western and northern borders respectively.)

Here is a closer view of the lake on my travel map.


Now I must sit down and learn some basic Hungarian so I can pronounce place names such as this tongue-twister below. There is a strong likelihood that I will pass through this place on my way from Budapest. Hopefully I learn the correct way to say it so I don't catch a bus and end up heading to another place by accident.

3 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Sounds spiffy! Looking forward to see more pictures of your adventures.

c'est moi said...

Damn Darcy! Europe two years in a row. Maybe I should start paying closer attention to those teach in Nunavut ads I keep seeing on the web?

Way Way Up said...

Matt&Kara - I'm sure my camera will get a good workout. I took somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400-1500 pictures last year. I think I might tone it down a bit this summer just to save on batteries. But of course that little plan could change.....and likely will.

C'est Moi - I wasn't sure if I would be able to pull off another trip right away. There's only so many things you can pack into a summer. But Hungary won't adopt the Euro until at least 2010 and the exchange rate is fantastic - two more reasons to do the trip now rather than wait.

......And now I'm just hoping all my travel connections go over seamlessly now that I have it all arranged booked and put on the ole' credit card.