Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Darcy Does A Sealift aka Hopefully I Don't Screw This One Up As Badly As The Last One

I hadn't put in a sea lift order for about 4 years now, so I was rusty. After a lot of slothfulness I finally got around to figuring out an order this afternoon. My first sea lift order was an experience. I ended up ordering A LOT more rice and pasta than I could eat in a year. As a matter of fact, I finally finished off the last of the pasta from that first order just before this past Christmas. I still have plenty of bars of Ivory soap left to use up. I figure there's enough there to last me another 3 to 4 years. Ah well, at least I'll smell good. And I know there's one last half-full box of Minute Rice kicking around in a kitchen cupboard here somewhere. Needless to say, I've learned a few things from last time. I worked in a grocery store during university so that little experience has helped me out a little even just in negotiating the big on-line catalogue I got through Marche Turenne.

I'm sure I can be forgiven for not knowing how much I might consume in a year. Afterall, does the average person really give a lot of thought to this sort of thing? Sea lift was made a bit easier this year since my housemate and I decided to put in an order together to save shipping costs. We'll figure out for our own food and split on things like cleaning supplies. I guess once the ship arrives in August I'll see how well I did.

2 comments:

Gish said...

I'm trying to figure out what I'll need and put in my sealift order as well. I am leaving in two weeks, so I thought I'd leave it until I got back, but I suppose that's not the best idea.

Dude, ivory soap has a weird smell. *grin*

Way Way Up said...

Most deadlines for sea lifts are in May or June so I'd jump on doing an order asap even though it can be an unfun task.

Yeah, I'll be glad when that Ivory is gone.