Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Tip Of The Hat

An old school chum of mine sent me a note a few days back to let me know that he is soon heading back for a second tour in Afghanistan. These days it seems its really hard to mention the Afghan mission without dragging in politics. The Canadian soldier always gets overlooked when this happens. Sadly, I often feel they never get the recognition they so richly deserve. My buddy John mentioned how interesting it was how our lives were such polar opposites - extremes in both temperature and in distance from the small town where we grew up. A few people have told me I must be pretty brave to live way up in the Arctic. Sure, it might sound impressive that I live in a land of polar bears. But at least polar bears don't shoot back at you.

So, to Captain Haylock and all of our soldiers .......qujannamiik! A big thank you for your devotion to duty and for taking time out of your own lives to serve.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Hear hear!

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Great post.

While waiting for Matt at the Edmonton Airport I had the pleasure of visiting with three soldiers there on training. They were helicopter pilots and were headed to Afghanistan this fall. We talked about their children and how hard it is to be away from them. Wonderful folks and I appreciate their willingness to do the job they do.

Trudie said...

I can only second Clare!