Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Piece For Organ

An interesting piece of news that caught my eye a couple days back was this story about a newly discovered composition by J.S. Bach. I guess you never know what you might find at an auction. I'm always fascinated when new pieces turn up, especially if it is a keyboard work of some sort. Granted this recent piece is just a small organ ditty and not something along the lines of say, a cantata....... but still. I've heard of the odd piece turning up in the past. It was either unknown or previously thought to be spurious. And it always make me wonder about what other undiscovered gems might still be out there.

The biggest Bach discovery in my lifetime occurred in 1970's* with an original edition of the Goldberg Variations (BWV 988) written in Bach's own hand. Attached was a sheet showing the 14 cannons based on the 8 fundamental notes of the aria. Prior to their discovery, only two of the 14 cannons were known....compelling stuff for a Bachophile like myself.

*I've seen a couple of different discovery dates, either 1974 or 1975 but since I was born in late '74 I'll take the 1975 date so it just barely fits within my lifetime.

0 comments: