Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Poor Kevin Taft

Normally I don't pay too much attention to provincial elections. Even elections in Ontario (where I grew up) usually don't cause me to rush to a tv or computer screen to drink in the latest results. I haven't lived in Ontario for the past 7-8 years and other in provinces where I have lived and worked, I was never really around long enough to take much of an interest in provincial ranglings. Nunavut doesn't have party politics so I don't find them as exciting. (But we are due to have an election up here within the next year so maybe this will change depending on what issues come up.) Anyhow I did find myself drawn into tonight's Alberta election, if only because I was curious to see how the Stelmach PC's would fare. I figured the PCs would win but.......dang! I didn't think they would pull in the results I'm seeing at the moment.

I'm not sure how the opposition parties could be so incompetent. I mean come on, the PCs have been in power since before the Ark and the Liberals/NDP can't come up with one single issue to mount an effective campaign?! Yikes! Partisan politics aside though I must admit that I can't help but wonder what it will be like with essentially no opposition. In the end though, you always get the government you vote (or don't vote) for.

I suppose democracy can be a double-edged sword......and I think it just fell on Taft and the Liberals.

0 comments: