Friday, March 14, 2008

Notes from the North

1. Last time I checked the medal count for the Arctic Winter Games, Team Nunavut had 54 medals...ulus really. (An ulu is a traditional woman's knife with a half-moon-shaped blade). Just like their round-shaped cousins, they come in gold, silver and bronze. Currently the 54 total break down into 13 gold, 22 silver, 19 bronze. I've been waiting patiently to see how the junior boys basketball team fares. No word yet but they are scheduled to play Team Yukon for the gold medal sometime tonight. One of Team Nunavut's players is from town here.

2. I'm quite grateful to one of students after he somehow fixed my ipod earlier in the week. I have no idea what was wrong with it and no idea what he did to it but all I know is that is works and I'm very happy. Relieved too since I had over 5300 tracks on the blasted thing before it went all wierd on me.

3. In an interesting development to my little hissy fit from last night, I caught word today that a territorial election will be held Monday, October 27. Perhaps I'll vote afterall. (evil laugh).....How many incumbents can we unemploy this time?

4. I'm pleased to see that Parliament has voted to extend our mission in Afganistan. I know this may go against the tide of public opinion because it seems politicians are always telling us how we feel, but I'm glad our troops are there because it is the right thing to do. Pulling out now flies in the face of years of Canadian involvement when the going gets tough, dating all the way back to WWI. Getting out would be a travesty. Shame on Stephane Dion (who quite obviously has a political weather vane where most people have a heart).

5. I had blogged a bit earlier about my nephew's PeeWee team. His team was knocked out in the Ontario semi-finals last week. They lost a tough series against Dunnville. Considering this is as far into the playoffs as the team has ever gone, I'd say it's a pretty impressive accomplishment. (I know Mom's proud of you Cole.....and so am I!)

0 comments: