Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Still Blame The Vaccuum Cleaner

Monday morning, I wake up - no internet. No big deal. I unplug and reboot everything. Nothing. Ah, well, not a huge deal. I don't really need to check the weather. I can just step outside. And I can get my news and sports fix over the lunch hour at the school. Monday evening, though, no internet. Okay this is getting wierd. I haven't had connection problems like this since the 'net crapped out on the whole town a year ago last January.

So I rack my brain. What's going on here? Then I remember Sunday afternoon and the vaccuum cleaner. Like the good little Molly Maid I am, I always make it a point to give my livingroom carpet a good once-over on (most) Sundays. Only this time I got the router's adapter cord wrapped around one of the vaccuum's wheels. I guess I pulled on it with a little too much relish. (Our livingroom has cords running everywhere - for the tv, stereo, 2 laptops, the cable cord and the satellite cord - love the marvels of wireless technology!)

Anyhow, fast forward to Tuesday. This is when I discover some exposed wires on the adaptor cord and clue in. Ah that's why I don't have internet. Well, wait, it can't be the cord otherwise I wouldn't be getting all those fancy blinking lights on top of the router. Oh!.......uh oh. It all comes back. I had knocked the router off the window sill. At this point I decide its the router that's the problem. So much for my $150 deposit. (My housemate Monty managed to fix the adaptor so I knew that wasn't the problem.)

I phone the guy who serves as the local contact for our service provider and explain my vaccuum faux pas. I find out that there are actually 3 different types of adaptors but I haven't the slightest clue which size in particular I need. He tells me he won't have any new adaptors or routers until his next shipment comes in on Thursday. And, oh yeah, your account has been suspended. Hmmmmm......interesting. I had just updated my info a week ago since I had a new credit card plus I wanted to upgrade to a faster internet package anyway.

Anyhow, in the end I paid the man a visit. He conveniently lives just down at the end of my street. Very quickly, he processed my credit card info and soon enough my internet signal was up and ready. But I maintain my innocence in all this. I still blame the vaccuum cleaner.

1 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Vaccuums suck. (I couldn't resist).