Saturday, March 22, 2008

Concerts

A few days ago Townie Bastard did up a little quiz to his readers on rock concerts so I thought I'd join in. Shockingly, as enthusiastically as I discussed Mozart yesterday, I actually HAVE been to the odd rock concert (a huge gasp goes up from the crowd.) I've only been to two rock concerts in my 33 years (sad but true) which actually suits me just fine since Townie's quiz has exactly 2 questions to it.

1. What is the best concert you've ever seen?

This is an easy one for me. Around 10 years ago (maybe '97 or '98, I don't totally recall) I had the privilege to catch Burton Cummings live in Windsor Ontario, playing at the Freedom Festival. I listened to Winnipeg's hometown rocker a lot as a young kid, playing my Mom's LPs of him and mimmicking his piano playing on the back of an old armchair. (Shortly after that, my stepdad got me my first piano). Burton played a lot of old favorites at that outdoor concert by the river which transported me back to carefree days. Funny thing about that concert was, I swear to God I was the only one there under the age of 40!

2. What was the first concert you ever went to?

This was a Kim Mitchell concert I went to see with my aunt Janice back sometime in the mid-80s at the arena in my hometown of Campbellford, Ontario. I don't recall too much about this concert since I was pretty young at the time. I do remember being shocked because Mitchell had no hair (and has even less these days) and also a bit disappointed because, well, you see, turns out Kim Mitchell was a guy.

0 comments: