Saturday, March 15, 2008

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

The plan for this afternoon was to head up to Nanisivik. I haven't been up there in quite a long time and the new RCMP member, my housemate and I wanted to visit a sign (more like a group of signs) that had the names of all the home towns of the miners that used to work out there. We hoped to make our contribution by adding to the sign and take a few pictures. We left under cloudy skies but the ceiling here in town was pretty high. We made it out past the turn off to Nanisivik and were about 2km from our goal when we (or rather the truck we were in) ran into a wee bit of snow that had drifted across the road. The winds were so strong they had compacted the drifts into the same consistency as cement. Sure, we'll make it, we thought. Ah, famous last words.

Digging out was fun.






The thought of needing to take a taxi back into town popped into my head for some reason. We found out we weren't the only ones battling Mother Nature today. On the way back to town, we bumped into the taxi van on the way out to the airport.



We had our little adventure even though it wasn't what we intended. Luckily there are always other weekends.

6 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Ahahaha, I have pictures like that of our Pathfinder! So I am assuming you didn't make it to the signs?

Way Way Up said...

Nope......Mother Nature 1....... 4-wheel drive 0. While I was a little disappointed I'm sure 30 years from now I'll remember this story of getting stuck in the snow much more than if we actually had made it out there to that sign.

Kennie said...

How come I only see Monty digging out?? Left him to do all of the work? :-)

Way Way Up said...

Yup. heh....someone had to work the camera and capture events for posterity.

Bonnieupnorth said...

HA, HA, HA....I shouldn't laugh but I think we all have had experiences digging out vehicles and dealing with our own frustrations of what we should have or could have done!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha; don't you know "Mother Nature" always wins in the end.Had enough of winter yet? Who was watching out for the polar bears?