Monday, February 18, 2008

Strange Things Are Afoot

I heard strange tales of lights in the sky over Arctic Bay, which has me wondering just exactly what was flying around the sky yesterday. A student showed me a picture he had gotten hold of from the college instructor in town of a rather eratic streak of light visible in the eastern sky Sunday morning. (Head on over to Clare or Kendra's blog for a peek.)

Early speculation was that it could have something to do with an American satellite that is supposed to be shot down sometime over the next few days. I have yet to hear anything in the news about it so I'm a bit stumped, though I do have a theory (don't I always?) Judging from the photo it was too big and its light trail too large to be a shooting star. I have my money on it being a meteor of some sort. And, based solely on my stellar poker skills I demonstrated at times this past Friday night, I think that's a pretty good bet.

4 comments:

c'est moi said...

It's the international space station. We've been seeing here too.

c'est moi said...

I wish to retract my original statement and requalify it as a guess after going over to the house to see the picture. Without knowing the settings and set up of the shot, I am still thinking space station but can't say for certain given the erratic light pattern exhibited. The space station would be in a constant orbit; as opposed to that wonky, fire stormesque pattern shown over there.

Kennie said...

Essentially it was called "grab the camera and run outside" photography .... not much of a set up. I've seen many pictures of it today at school and that's the story that everyone has given.

Jackie S said...

I'm actually doing a story on this. The jury is out so far... but I've got a couple astronomers on the case. :D