Saturday, February 16, 2008

Great Backyard Bird Count













Clare over at "Arctic House and Other Musings" recently posted about the Great Backyard Bird Count. I decided to take up the challenge and double the number of Arctic Bay participants this year. That, plus the clear blue skies were just too tempting. Now that we have a few hours of useable light, I have no more excuses for spending so much time indoors on weekends.

And so, I threw on my winter gear, grabbed my camera and headed out for about an hour to see what I could. Originally I planned to hike it over to Victor Bay but since it was still a bit chilly I thought I'd have better luck out on Arctic Bay around the dog teams. Usually when the teams get fed, the area has plenty of ravens. I missed feeding time today so I ended up with a very small count. And what was my count? A grand total of 4, which, having tormented the dogs, soon flew away before I could get any decent pictures. I did get one interesting shot of some tracks on the ice sea though.

The forecast calls for more clear skies in the days ahead so I'm hoping to make another foray tomorrow to improve on my totals.

0 comments: