Friday, February 29, 2008

February 29 - Calendar Anomaly

Today of course is that quirky date on the calendar, and all because the Earth takes 365 1/4 days to make its journey around the sun, rather than a more convenient 365 days. So enjoy this day wherever you are. Make the most of it. You won't have this opportunity again for another 4 years.

Okay, okay....I know this whole calendar deal is just a human construct. There are many types of calendars and I tried looking into some of them so I could write a bit about them today. But I ran into all these (to me) complicated mathematical explanations and algorhythms that frankly started to make my brain bleed after not too long. In the end then, I decided it would be better to stick with what I know best - the historical aspects of February 29.


Born on February 29

Italian opera composer Gioacchino Rossini (of Barber of Seville fame), in 1792
actor Antonio Sabato Jr. (1972)
NHL hockey players Simon Gagne (1980) and Cam Ward (1984)

Died on February 29

Ludwig I of Bavaria (1868) - which I can appreciate means little to most people BUT his 1810 marriage to Therese of Saxe-Hilburghausen marked the first Oktoberfest.....who knew?)

Random Fact #1 - My grandfather remarried on a Leap Day

Random Fact #2 - February 29,2008 - My principal phoned and asked if I'd be interested in having my little write up on the history of Arctic Bay I posted a couple days ago included in the year book. (I said yes.)

Random Fact #3- A Leap Day is most likely to fall on a Monday or a Wednesday (guess we bucked the trend this year)

1 comments:

Clare said...

Also NHL'r Henri "The Pocket Rocket" Richard, born Feb 29th, 1936, which makes him 15 I believe.

and it is not quite 365 1/4 days which is why there are no leap years on years that end in a zero (in other words every 20th year).