Sunday, February 03, 2008

Dive, Dive, Dive!

After a few days of mild weather, the mercury is once again creeping downward. Yesterday's forecast high was -12C and the low was -35C. It didn't quite get down to that I don't think but I don't ever think I've seen such a differential between the high and low.....anywhere. I can't say that I totally mind this. When temperatures rise too much this time of year, the weather can get quite unsettled. A couple years ago, the weather got really screwy. The mercury actually rose above the freezing mark in early February and you could hear dripping and trickling water as the snow melted. At this latitude events like that in the middle of winter just seemed plain wrong.

Oh yes, the unsettled weather. This tends to wreak havoc with flight schedules. Last week was a case in point. Arctic Bay was one of the only communities not under a blizzard warning last week but since Iqaluit was, what this meant for us was very few flights getting in to Nanisivik. A construction crew was due up here last week to fix the damage to our school from November's flood. The arrival of a sorely-needed photocopier has also been delayed. A couple staff members got stranded in Resolute on the trip home from Iqaluit and it looks like they will be there until Tuesday. As someone who has been stuck, stranded or delayed, I can totally sympathize. A third colleaugue is also down in Iqaluit at the moment with some students trying to make Nunavut's hockey team for next month's Arctic Winter Games.

We've also picked up a little snow the past couple days and I had to rack my brain to remember the last we had had that much snow in one downfall. I think its myth that it was ever be too cold to snow but I do notice we get more when the mercury lies between say 0 and -10. I've seen snow in temperatures much colder than this but it tends to be smaller flakes and a lot less thick when it comes down. The kind of snow that makes for a lousy snowball fight. But I'd much rather have this than the sticky mud that comes in the spring.

0 comments: