Thursday, February 28, 2008

#18

Like many in the hockey world I was shocked and saddened to hear of the recent death of Windsor Spitfires captain, Mickey Renaud. I enjoyed 7 great years in Windsor, and even though I find myself very far from there now, I try to keep up with the news from down there as best I can. I know Mickey's death must be very difficult for the Windsor area and the entire Spitfire organization. Windsor is a pretty hockey-mad place. I have fond memories of attending several Spitfire games even though Mickey of course was too young for the OHL at that time.

Mickey was a true hometown boy, growing up in neighboring Tecumseh. I've been through Tecumseh many times and I was always taken by its small-town Ontario spirit. I see that for Windsor's home game against Belleville, all players will wear #18 to commemorate Mickey. As I understand it, all teams in the league will wear his number on their jerseys for the remainder of the season - a very fitting tribute. I don't really have anything more to add other than to state that this ex-Windsorite offers his sincere condolensces to the Renaud family.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windsor was hit very hard by Mickey's death. He was loved by many and was a good "kid" on and off the ice. My mother actually taught him in Grade 8. I was in Windsor when the news broke that he had passed. The city seemed to stop.
Windsor is still a great city and I'll miss it even more soon.
Thanks for your continued support to the City of Roses.

Melissa