Monday, January 07, 2008

Water...........?

After hearing of some water woes down in Igloolik from Ian and Jennifer, it seems Arctic Bay might find itself in the same boat. I was told this afternoon that both water trucks were broken down, which at first I didn''t give much mind to. Given the frosty temperatures we've had since I got home, its understandable that trucks can break down from time to time. Troubles with our water and sewage trucks (Arctic Bay has 2 of each) happen on occassion and I've come to accept it as one of those quirks of life. As far as I know, at the moment, we are only down one water truck. So no big deal really. No, the bigger problem is that the pipes, or possibly the pump, out at the water lake are frozen solid which means........I'm not really sure, just that we may have to become very finicky with our water usage. A local staff member told me they can pump water from a nearby stream outside of town as a temporary measure. This is a much slower process and the tanks at our school need 7000 gallons or so to top up. Hmmmm.

I recall melting snow (carefully avoiding yellow areas) for coffee during my year in northern Manitoba. Partly this was because I was having a few problems with the pipes in the kitchen. This only realy lasted a day or two so it was no big crisis. Plus, I just wanted to see if I could do it and what the coffee would taste like. Pretty good as it turned out actually. Anyhow, as I said I'm not sure what will happen here with the water situation over the next few days. Hopefully, this is all just a misunderstanding. Hang on folks, things could get interesting.

2 comments:

Gish said...

ok, I would continue to utilize the coffee making made from ice and snow outside be the thing of the week.

After all, how many showers can one get out of a tank that is filled from a water truck?

Kennie said...

That would depend on how long the showers are and which unit you share the water tank with.

I'm hoping like you Darcy that things will get figured out quickly. I called for water tonight, and was told that it might be a while ... I'm hoping a day or two and not too much longer ... Good thing I know how to survive on little water.