Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Wall Hanging



Here is a wall hanging I picked up for my parents when I was down in Iqaluit for a tournament. It's a one-of-a-kind from a Hall Beach elder who, unfortunately, passed away not too long ago. I've always been partial to wall hangings. I've seen quite a few good ones at the Pangnirtung airport when I used to pass through there. I wanted to post a picture of this wall hanging before I went away for the break but since it was intended as a Christmas present and because my parents frequent my blog from time to time, I didn't want to spoil the surprise for them. It might be a little difficult to see in this photo, but the braids on the two female figures are made out of real muskox hair. I bet it took many hours and skilled hands to create this beautiful work of art.