Monday, January 14, 2008

Life is Precious

I'm not sure what to think tonight. To be honest, I'm still quite stunned. I knew that if I stuck around the North for any length of time things like this were bound to happen. I read an article a few days ago about a young girl who was seriously injured in a snowmobile accident in Fort Smith, Northwest Territories. The article caught my attention since Fort Smith was where I began my career. At the time, I read it, reflected on it and then paid no more mind to it. Tonight, however, I read a follow-up article on the CBC News North website and it turns out I knew the family. I taught both of her older sisters. I'm really stunned.

I only vaguely remember the girl as she was very young during my stint there. I do, however, remember her two older sisters quite well and it really shocks me and makes me pause to think about the really important things in life. They were two of my favourite students - polite, on the ball, keen to do well in my music classes, athletic, all-round nice people - basically the kind of kids you'd just LOVE to have in your class as a beginning teacher, the type you like to brag about in the staff room at lunch hour. The kind of kids that had a real zest for life.

I don't want to mention names to respect the family's privacy but suffice it to say they are all in my thoughts this evening.

0 comments: