Saturday, December 01, 2007

Really Freaky

An unusual sight greeted my eyes as I waited for my flight to take off from Rankin Inlet. I was standing in the terminal shooting the breeze with one of the other coaches when one of the kids piped up, "There's like 3 suns outside there.....really freaky." I popped my head out the door for a look and saw this......



I'm not 100% sure here, but I believe this "really freaky" thing is called a "sun dog". They are unique phenomena formed through some process of refracting or reflecting light or some other miracle of physics that my brain cannot grasp. I've seen the odd picture of these things over the years (mostly from up in Resolute Bay) but I never thought I'd actually see one in person. The picture doesn't quite do it justice. I had to stand out on the very edge of the parking lot to fit everything in and doing this in -30ish weather ain't one of the most comfortable of photo-taking situations.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, those are sun dogs. We often got them in Manitoba when the weather got down to the -30, -40s. Sometimes we would even get four of them, in a kind of north, south, east, west kind of arrangement.

Now I live somewhere where people complain of how cold it is when it hits around -5. They don't know what they're missing!