Monday, December 03, 2007

Mighty Sun I Salute You



Though the big lightbulb in the sky disappeared here in Arctic Bay almost a month ago I did get a chance to reaquaint myself with the glorious orb during last week's little jaunt to the Kivalliq. So this shot from the plane was the last sunset I'll see until I head down to Ontario for Christmas break. This shot was taken on our flight somewhere over Hudson Bay heading back to Iqaluit. Year five in Nunavut above the Arctic Circle and the dark season can still get to me. Don't worry, I'm not about to start drooling on you and reciting the alphabet backwards or anything like that. I'm sure I'll be just fine. I tend not to notice the darkness so much during the week when I'm in a (relatively) well-lit building. Weekends though, I do notice especially when cold weather tends to keep me indoors. Spending Christmas back in Ontario does break up the long stretch of inky darkness nicely, as the break falls just past the halfway point of the dark season. I'd like to think I'm made of tougher fibre living so far north of the treeline but still, there are times when I miss seeing the sun.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you; especially since I live in the treeline now. I am a wimp. I need the sun! I even have a SAD Light.