Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Tragedy in Kimmirut

LIke many other Northerners I was quite shocked this morning to learn about the shooting death of Cst. Scott in Kimmirut last night. A few other Northern bloggers have posted on this so I don't know that I have too much more to add. Cst. Scott grew up not far from where I did. I pass close by his hometown of Lyn, Ontario when I take the train to my parents in June. It bothers me to think that this man was so young. At 20 years old your life has only just begun.

In small communities its pretty difficult not to get to know your RCMP members. They do tremendous work under difficult conditions. The RCMP as an organization may have taken a few knocks the past few years but having met many Mounties individually, I have nothing but respect for them. Many smaller communities only have 2 members and are basically on-call 24 hours a day. I can't imagine what it would be like to get call outs at any hour of the day. I've had my share of frustrating days teaching over the years but at least I can go home and not worry about having to wake and head over to the school at 3am.

I hope the community of Kimmrut doesn't get stained with a bad reputation because of this incident. I personally don't know anyone from there. I'm sure it has its problems just like any other community in Canada but it always struck me as a quiet out of the way place. It was for this reason that I considered transferring there a couple years ago to teach high school before moving here to Arctic Bay.

I have an uncle and a cousin who are RCMP officers and tonight my heartfelt condolences go out to the Scott family.

0 comments: