Thursday, November 29, 2007

Home From Rankin Inlet

With badminton Territorials finished for another year I am now back home in Arctic Bay tonight. We ended up spending one night longer than planned in Iqaluit on the way back. Our flight was about 20 minutes out of Iqaluit when it had to turn around and fly back to the airport. Apparently there was a problem with getting one of the hatches closed. I was a bit irritated but I suppose feelings of annoyance are much better than being sucked out of an aircraft in mid-flight. Ah the joys and adventures of northern flying.

Anyhow, the tournament went quite well. I thought it was very well organized and the community of Rankin Inlet should be commended for its fine effort. We were treated to some great competition and I definitely learned alot about the game this past weekend. I took five players along and while no one from town qualified for the Arctic Winter Games, I have to say they did quite well for themselves. A couple of our boys lost round-robin matches to the 2 kids who ended up qualifying for AWG so I was pleased with that. 5 of the 12 medals went to players from Repulse Bay. Those kids were amazing and really put on a clinic for the crowd. We have one young lad here who is just 13 yet held his own against 15- and 16-year-olds. Give him some time and I know he'll be a force to reckon with in the future.

I didn't get to see much of Rankin while I was there but I did manage to get a few pictures that I'll try to post in the next couple days. I did get a chance to meet a couple other bloggers on my sidebar during my trip....small world.

0 comments: