Sunday, October 28, 2007

Relaxing on the Weekend

Quite a busy week for me this past week with all the goings-on at the school. After the Career Day on Thursday we had qamutik races in the schoolyard on Friday. I hope to get some pictures from that posted up shortly. I'm anticipating holding my acting-VP duties for one more week until our principal returns. The past couple weeks have indeed been challenging at times but I have gained some valuable experience. The most frustrating part (and one I didn't think would be that big of an issue) is just dealing with people. I consider myself a bit of an introvert but really, I have to step up to the plate of course in my new responsibility when "stuff" comes up. I think I've been doing a good job and I've received lots of positive feedback from a lot of the new young teachers on staff.

I find it a bit frustrating when people who are supposed to be educated and know better make ignorant or misinformed comments.......people with important roles within the community who really should know better. It really serves no purpose and only makes for hassles and hurt feelings. Friday afternoon my substitute didn't think it worth her time to inform me that she would be unavailable to sit in for me. So I was stuck with looking after my class and trying to help run the school at the same time. I went through the entire sub list and couldn't find anyone available. Fortunately, being Friday, my students were content to work away on some assignments or watch a DVD in class which saved me quite a bit of grief. Anyhow, as I mentioned, its been a good experience for me.

Next week will be a short one since I will be down to Iqaluit for the soccer tournament. Daylight Savings Time I believe is moved to next weekend which is a good thing. The tournament will need that extra hour. From what I've heard, this will be the largest indoor soccer tournament ever held, with about 71 games to be played, assuming none of the teams get weathered in. Speaking of weather, its been getting progressively colder. Ice out in the bay has formed and is starting to thicken up. This is about 3 weeks earlier than last year but still not quite as early as it used to be in the past. I no doubt will be checking weather forecasts a bit more than usual this week, looking for decent flying weather for when my teams fly out Friday morning.

0 comments: