Thursday, August 23, 2007

Rough Day

With all the new staff at our school, I can say I've really been feeling the extra pressure this week as we begin the new school year. High school registration began today and was a bit of a nightmare. (Student transcripts are typically full of clerical errors when they are sent from the office in Pangnirtung. Add to this the fact that the high school schedule that was drawn up back in the spring left much to be desired along with the challenge of trying to explain all the ins and outs of registration, course codes, scheduling etc. to my new high school colleagues and a new principal at the same time and.....well, she sure was a ton of fun.) I'm sure it will all get worked out eventually. It always does. Its just a bit more chaos than I'm used to so early in the school year.

At any rate, a tragic event yesterday really put things in perspective. A small baby passed away. Makes my worries seem like a big farce in comparison. My heart really goes out to the family as I have gotten to know them quite well in the time I've lived here. The young mother was a student at our school and the baby's grandfather was one of our Student Support Assistants (a wonderful man whom I consider an Inuk father figure). I went over to the house yesterday to pay my repects. I was at a total loss as to what to say. Not having children myself I can't even begin to imagine their pain. The only thing I could do was just give out a lot of hugs and let them know I was there for them.

4 comments:

Bonnieupnorth said...

Darcy, I am so sorry to hear about the baby!

Did my house end up being used by the teachers or do you know?

Kara and Matt said...

I don't think there is ever anything you can say. That is going to be hard on you community.

Way Way Up said...

Kara and Matt - very true.

Bonnie - a rough day for the community (and your house remains empty as I suspected it would. The housing for the new teachers was sorted out eventually though. Government stupidity is as predictable as sunrise and sunset.)

J Consortium said...

I'm very sorry to hear about the baby. Kara's right, there's not much you can say but fortunately, that's not what matters.

--jaime