Friday, August 10, 2007

Construction Boom

A short spurt of construction has been underway with the short arctic summer season. Building supplies arrived on last year's barge for some badly-needed new units.

Here are the piles (stilts) on which a new housing unit will sit. The piles help support the weight of the structure in this land of permafrost. If memory serves me, the units that will go here won't be built until next summer.



A new 6-plex taking shape on the road behind my unit. I'm not sure why its red. It sure does stand out against all the surrounding blue houses.



One step forward, one step back. This duplex burnt down shortly before I returned. It's down at the end of my street. Seeing it reminded of when the house next door to where I grew up in Campbellford burned to the ground. Fortunately, in this situation, no one was hurt.

2 comments:

Bonnieupnorth said...

We are obviously seeing the same things out our window....what unit are you in?

Way Way Up said...

I do have to cheat a bit but I can just make out that big nosebleed structure out my back window.