Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mittel Europa Here I Come!





After over a year of planning, hoping, re-planning, re-scheduling and re-planning I am off to Europe this summer. I will be spending most of July in the Czech Republic. Incredibly, with all the flying I've done over the past 6-7 years, I've never flown to Europe. Soon enough, however, the adventure will begin.

I had hoped to fly to Switzerland where I have an aunt but ironically, she will be here in Canada while I am over across the pond. Fortunately, I have an uncle in Brussels, attached to NATO operations there, so I will make Belgium my first stop before heading off from there.

Initially when I started planning my trip I had a grand odyssey in mind, taking me through Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Germany. Sober second thought told me this might be a bit much. My summer simply isn't long enough to pack in all that I wanted to see. And besides, I'm sure Europe will still be there next summer for more exploring. I finally settled on the Czech Republic, small enough to see plenty of over 5 weeks. The country is filled choc-a-bloc with castles, theatres, town squares and old churches and I'm looking forward to the fantastic medieval and baroque architecture. With luck, I will fit in the odd concert or three. Native-born Dvorak and Smetana aren't very well-known but Mozart and Beethoven made their way through parts of the country. Its been a dream of mine for years now to see a classical music concert live in Europe.

I've spent much of today pouring over maps, internet sites, and travel books - my imagination salivating at the possibilities. Prague, Budweis, Cesky Krumlov, Plzen and Brno are all on my short-list, plus whatever other magical places I can manage to cram in.

Mozart loved Prague and I'm certain that I will too!

5 comments:

Clare said...

Sounds like a great summer Darcy. I have a cousin in Prague. He loves it there. Enjoy.

I wonder what the odds are that two people from Arctic Bay would each make a trip to Brussels in one year, visiting someone from NATO. Probably pretty astronomical.

c'est moi said...

Have a great trip Darcy! I am envious.

North of Nain said...

Oh, I am so jealous. I've spent the past 3 or 4 weekends trying to decide where to go for Christmas this year...Europe somewhere....so I'm very envious. My dream destination is Italy...but I want a full month to enjoy it, so I will wait. My last European vacation was smashing and I'm sure yours will be too. Enjoy!

Way Way Up said...

I have the feeling that this will be the first of many future trips.

towniebastard said...

Enjoy your trip...I think after going through a long winter, that a nice vacation is always in order.

We're looking at a month in Italy in '08 (sorry NoN) and a month in Australia in '09. We're looking forward to it, but it certainly means you have to watch your pennies