Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The End is Near

I still haven't fully absorbed the notion that there are very few school days left - 3 to be exact. I've been busy this week with all the year-end minutiae and helping with all the fun activities our school planned out for the week. We kicked off yesterday with a clean up around the school (Okay, I know this doesn't sound very fun but we did have a competition to see which class could fill the most garbage bags with pizza as a grand prize. The kids outdid themselves - 172 bags of garbage. Its amazing how much garbage collects in the snow over the course of many months.) In the afternoon, we held a raven-calling contest (some students were really amazing!)and then a scavenger hunt which had students out all around the community looking for all manner of objects from the rec director's signature to a spider to a photo of a raven.

Today, kindergarten to grade 6 had a bicycle rally outside while the 7s and 8s challenged each other in the obstacle course I had set up in the gym - blindfolded. There were many fits of laughter and the kids had a blast. I just wish I hadn't left my camera up in my classroom.

I spent the afternoon with a group of high school students who were finishing up shooting a video production that will hopefully appear on Youtube in the near future. From what I understand, both CBC North and ATPN are interested in the final result. It's my hope that they can continue on with projects like these in the fall. I have a few ideas floating around in my head I'd like to get down on paper and the students really enjoy it. The acting, directing, camera work and editing are all good skills that could provide a career path in the future.

Tonight I am resting up since I will be going along with the grade 7s and 8s to climb King George. The weather looks good for tomorrow and I will most certainly have my camera in tow. When we climbed the mountain last June we had some pretty thick cloud roll in so I wasn't able to get any decent pictures of the town. That, plus the fact that the following day it felt as if my poor knees wanted to detach themselves from my legs and run off. This year will be different.

2 comments:

c'est moi said...

Have a great break. Do you plan to do any posting from Bohemia? If not, I will "see you" in a couple of months.

Way Way Up said...

I may do the odd post from across the pond if I can get to an interne cafe. I hope to do a couple quick posts at least while I'm back in Ontario. I find that I just can't capture the same sense of place when posting down south. But I'll definitely have some photos up once I get back to A.B. in August.