Friday, May 18, 2007

Screened Out.....but........

I'm okay with it. A couple weeks ago I had put in a resume for the principalship at the school here. I figured I had a decent shot, given the high turnover rate among administrators that Nunavut will be experiencing come the new school year. I was hoping my northern experience and familiarity with the community would carry me far. Unfortunately, my lack of administrative experience was my Achilles Heel, as I suspected it would be. At any rate, my superintendent gave me a call to break the news and offered me some helpful suggestions to improve my candidacy for the future.

But when I think about it, it's all good. Someone has to hold down the high school end of the school for the new year and truth be told, I wasn't sure I'd be able to juggle the added duties along with my community involvement with the kids. I take all my little "war wounds" from being accidentally hit with a soccer ball as little badges of pride.

Exams have finished up here now and town is clearing out for the fishing derby over the long weekend. In other news, some high school students had been working on a video production a few days back and posted it on Youtube. APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network) picked up on it and showed it on a broadcast last night. I missed the show but there were some pretty big smiles in the hallway this morning.

0 comments: