Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Take on Bureaucracy

Teaching in the North, I find myself tied in closer to government than perhaps I would be in the South. (Or at least it feels that way. I've never taught in Ontario, despite growing up there, so I could be way off base here.) At any rate, as I've come to learn, getting things done at times is like watching a glacier moving across the land. I can't get into too many details - despite my "northern-ness", the government has a big reach (and big teeth). Let me just say that today, I found out information that I really wish had been sent to me oh say, back in August, when the school year started.

I am sometimes handicapped in that I cannot say all I wish I could (but look for my tell-all book, coming to bookstores sometime in the future.) I therefore, can only offer you my take on dealing with government bureaucracy (taxes included of course).

Government Bureaucrat [with stupid smile on face] - My job is to push this button [pointing] and this button. The person whose job it is to push this button [pointing] is on vacation. They'll be back in 6 to 8 weeks. [again, pointing] The person who pushes this button and this button is away from their desk....if you leave a message......

You - Yes, but surely you understand the urgency of this matter!

Government Bureaucrat - My job is to push....

You [quickly interjecting] - But, really, how hard can it be to............can't you just make an exception here?!

Government Bureaucrat [repeating robotic-like] - My job is to push this button and this button.......

There are several possible endings to this sad scenario:
1) You - hang up phone in quiet resignation.
2) You - slam down phone in utter disbelief.
3) or better yet, (my personal favorite) - government mandarin gets downsized after a severe budget cut.
4) feel free to tailor-make your own ending....I mean really, this is a bit of fake post, kind of like a fake government job.

2 comments:

George Lessard, The MediaMentor said...

... or call up / e-mail the minister directly...

Way Way Up said...

Minister's do e-mail?