Friday, April 27, 2007

In Their Own Words

Sometimes you can get pretty caught up in the millions of things that take up your day. Education is a long-term investment so it's difficult at times to see just how much influence a teacher can have on a student. Understandably there are times when a student might just feel awkward expressing their feelings toward a favorite teacher.

We had a touching reminder today of the impact a teacher can have. As part of the territory's Education Week, a large banner was put up in the school for students to write a comment about their teachers. A couple notes from high school students talked about how one teacher on our staff (someone I have a great deal of professional respect for) motivated them to stay in school and not drop out. I found this quite touching and inspiring.

I wasn't sure what students might write about me. I haven't been here quite as long as some of the other staff members. Reading the comments was a nice little shot in the arm to end the week.



I'm not sure if I'm the best soccer coach but I do know that at Regionals we had the best team! Even a comment about the Northern Studies class I teach to the grade 9 class. Who knew? I joked with some of the students from that class I was "shocked" to see what they wrote and that I thought they might comment instead about my lousy writing on the blackboard or my profound lack of fashion sense.





Ah ha! So they DO like the hair!

4 comments:

J Consortium said...

Aww, those are sweet. Did it surprise you at first that the students here refer to their teachers by their first names? It shocked me when friends of mine said they think it's weird that I called my teachers Mr./Mrs/Miss/Ms. Whatever. I wonder how the whole first name thing got started

--jaime

Way Way Up said...

From what I understand, people traditionally addressed each other based on their relationship to that person. A few local teachers told me that they addressed their teachers as "Mr." or "Mrs." when they went to school. I couldn't get a consensus on whether the switch-over to first names happened. It seems the change-over was a pretty gradual phenomenon. I know some people aren't happy with this change. It's not something I really think much about. Kinda used to it. "Darcy" or "Coach" works for me.

c'est moi said...

Hey, that's a great idea. Who initiated it? I mean was it the families, a parent committee or the administration?

Also, formal education only really got going in the far north in the 60's and 70's, in the way we see it today. Those teachers were all young and influenced the neo-romantic, social movement of the day. They addressed their students as jane, dick and mary. It was only fair that the students refered to them with their given name in return. That's the way it was explained to me by a couple of the old timers in our region who were here, literally, in the beginning of education; at least with our board.

Way Way Up said...

C'est Moi...from what I understand this was initiated a couple teachers on staff. We face a pretty big turnover rate this year so this was a way of expressing appreciation for those that will be leaving the school.