Saturday, March 10, 2007

I Think The Groundhog Lied.......

when the silly thing predicted an early spring! Actually, I am posting this merely for the "freak out" value for friends and family back home. I was hoping it would hit the proverbial -40C eventually. I don't find this too bad. I've learned that you can complain and cry about cold weather all you want but Mother Nature doesn't really care to listen to whiners. So I just accept it and embrace it.

Ironically, I only noticed the thermometer when I got up to answer a knock at the door. A local man had a pair of sealskin mitts for sale!



This makes me think back in amazement to 100 years ago when there were no permanent structures or community here. I find it remarkable that people not only survived, but thrived here.

3 comments:

Janine said...

Brrrrr.

I agree, the people of the northern regions are to be admired for their strength. Amazing stuff.

Anonymous said...

Got me ! We only reached -37 deg. C (and now it has been 0 for some days..). I think people in "ol' days" stayed "inside", slept and got bored - if they had enough food in storage -wayting for springtime, just like we do today (if we don't have to go to school or job).....
Still at 70deg N.

Anonymous said...

Back in the old days, we walked 7 miles too school barefoot @ -40, milked the cows by hand, ahhhh the good old days.