Friday, March 09, 2007

Nice Rug!

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. Sometimes after living here awhile you get used to certain things and don't really find them all that unusual. It's only when I stop and think for a moment that I realize the unique nature of being here. Take for example today. I just happened to bump into a local hunter who had harvested this bear. I believe it was for the school's cultural program as he and one of our classroom assistants hauled this bad boy into the school shortly after I snapped these shots.

I think I must be one of the few qallunnaat left in Nunavut that doesn't have a picture of a live bear somewhere in his collection. Sigh. Well these will suffice for now. I couldn't help but think that this specimen would make a fantastic rug. For Inuit though, this simply represents a way to make a livelihood and carry on an age-old tradition.

The sled for those who may not know is called a qamutik, made completely out of wood and rope.....not a single nail to be found.



In the background you can see another qamutik. It was built in the grade 8 cultural class and our soccer team is raffling it off for a fundraiser at the end of the month.




"My, what big teeth you have!" - Goldilocks.

3 comments:

c'est moi said...

Cheer up! I've been up here for a grand total of eight years now and I've only ever seen dead bears too!

J Consortium said...

Both of us have never seen a bear here. I was flying over Arviat last night, though, and I saw bear tracks. Yay? Haha


--Jaime

towniebastard said...

I've seen a polar bear...at the San Diego Zoo. My feeling is that was the best way for me. With a nice big glass wall separating us. I'd prefer not to meet one out on the land.