Friday, February 02, 2007

The Countdown Begins

I've lost track of how many times I've glanced out a window today toward the southern horizon. Sometime over the next 3-4 days I should be able to see the sun as it makes its first tentative appearance since disappearing back in early November. This has much more meaning to me than Groundhog Day.

I actually forgot today was Groundhog Day until a colleague mentioned it this morning. I guess I can be forgiven for forgetting. There are no groundhogs here and at any rate I don't need a groundhog seeing its shadow to tell me that we may have more winter ahead of us. I only need to look at the thermometer to remind me of that. Not that our current chilly weather matters to me. All I'm looking forward to is getting out this weekend with my camera to capture the big event. The countdown begins!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder, how far north are you living ? I got to see the sun a few days ago-at 70 deg N, at the border between Norway and Finland-and as far east as istanbul and Helsinki.....(And we have minus 27 C at the moment..).

Way Way Up said...

Hello...Arctic Bay, Nunavut is just over 72 degrees north latitude. We are on the northern coast of Baffin Island, approximately 1225km north of the Iqaluit, the territory's capital. The sun disappears from view around the first week of November and can be seen from the town again starting the first week of February. It's a very invigorating -33C at the moment.